Thursday, April 3, 2008

The boys' accomplishments...

I have had the hardest time getting Hunter to understand the sounds that letters make and how to learn to read and spell words by sounding them out. I am almost 100% sure that it is all my fault, I just didn't really know how to teach him. I mean we would sit there at the table and do it and to be honest, it was just frustrating and boring for both of us. So, I got some help. I bought some Leap Frog videos, one for learning letter phonics and one for starter words. I know what you are thinking, "She put her kid infront of a video to teach him what she should be." I would probably be thinking that too. But we sat down and watched it together and it was wonderful. It has a littel frog named Tad who is trying to learn letter phonics and how to spell and they really are cute videos. Hunter, Walker, Kyler and I were singing and dancing along with it, it was fun. The best thing is that Hunter KNOWS how to make the sound of each letter and how to spell and read now. It is amazing how fast he caught on. He is soo proud of himself and so are Rikk and I. He was talking to Rikk on the phone and was having Rikk ask him to spell three letter words. He also does this to just about anyone he talks on the phone with now or sees!!! He has also learned to tie his shoes! I know, he's five and should already know how to do this by now and he would have if it wasn't for Rikk and I. He has been asking for about a year and a half for us to teach him how to do it, but it was always when we were getting his shoes on and having to run out the door. But we were cuddling in the chair Saturday morning and I just told him to go and get his shoes, that we were going to learn to tie them. He got it right on the first try and was soo proud of himself. He was smiling ear to ear and was just giggly. He wanted to call Rikk right away, but of course we couldn't. But when he did tell Rikk, Rikk was just as proud of him as me and Hunter was soo happy! He is becoming quite the big boy and can't wait to start kindergarten now.

Walker is going around singing his ABC's and sounding them out. He can tell you just about what sound every letter makes now and thinks that is pretty cool...and so do I. He'll hold up one of his letter blocks and tell you what sound that letter makes. He also has no problem with his colors, which I know really shouldn't be a big deal because
he is three, but you would really have to know this kid to understand why it is. He is the strong, silent type and just lets on enough that he knows something to make you not loose your sanity. I have had many conversations with my mom and just been frustrated over his colors and she just kept reassuring me that he knows. And then one day he just started naming them all, it was great and he just had this look like, "Mom, what's the big deal, I've known these forever!"


Kyler went to the doctor on Friday for his two year check up. He is in the bottom percentile for his height...no surprise, look at me and Rikk. But what did surprise me was that he was only in the 50 percentile for his weight...you may now pick your jaw up off the floor! I know he is a chunky little guy, he weighs in at 28 pounds and is squishy all over. The doctor said that he wasn't showing any signs of being a premie at all and that he actually was able to do things that a two and a half or three year old were doing. It is nice to know that he is right where he should be and better, that he isn't behind at all.

1 comment:

Katie said...

I loved those Leap Frog videos too. I started those with Dominic when he was 1.5 and he knew all his sounds like a month later. They can learn them so quickly. A super easy way to teach them to read is buy the Hooked On Phonics Kindergarten set. Its the cheapest at Walmart online and just use the "ship to store" option and then there is a $0 shipping fee. It is super easy to use once you get it, it has it all layed out. You just follow the directions and any parent can do it. We started Dominic on that when he was 4 1/2 and he had finished the kindergarten box by the time he was 5! We went straight for the 1st grade set and he loved that one too. They make it really really fun and takes all the stress and worry out of a parent who doesn't know how to teach it (I for one wouldn't have been able to teach him without it)

Anyways.....sounds like he's on his way to reading and its so fun for them when it finally clicks!