Sunday, December 21, 2008

Appointments All Around

I had to take Hunter and Walker in to the doctor's on Friday for this croup/congestion thing that we have had since before Thanksgiving. The doctor said I wasn't a hypochondriac, which made me feel good, that they shouldn't be soo sick soo often. She decided to put them on two different types of inhalers...one for everyday use twice a day and another if they get into a coughing fit and can't stop. Plus they got saline drops for their noses which Walker just LOVES...no he doesn't, he really HATES it! They will be on the inhalers for a few months. All the kids are premies, but Hunter and Walker should have outgrown getting sick so easily, their immune systems should have strengthened up by now, but the doctor says that they apparently haven't and sometimes that happens. They are starting to sound better and you can tell Walker is feeling better because he is starting to cause trouble! We will all be happy when they are better!

We had another appointment for the twins this last week. I am not really sure how much I like my doctor. She does a lot of speaking without thinking it seems to me..."The baby on the left is moving as much, let's check them out...oh, they're fine. It doesn't look like the is enough amniotic fluid with that baby...oh, there is." and things like that. I asked the other high risk doctor about mine and he seems to have every confidence in her and he is deploying in a couple months, so I am stuck with her.

But the report from FMH says that the dividing membrane that makes the babies in their own sacks is VERY, VERY thin. When this happens it usually means that the babies share one placenta. My doctor looked around thinks that they is only one placenta which isn't horrible, but it definitely is NOT great news. These kind of twins are called monochorionic diamniotic (mono/di) twins. Basically the just of it is that one baby will steal blood from the other which can/will cause defects in the smaller baby.

Good news is that we get to go to Anchorage to have an ultrasound on January 13th with a perinatologist to make sure everything is okay with the babies and to see if they do in fact share a placenta or each have their own. We will also hopefully be able to find out the sexes of them as well. I will be just shy of 17 weeks, so we will see how willing they will be to display what they got!!! Bad news is that the military as of right now won't pay for Rikk to go with me. He will be calling them tomorrow to try and get it all worked out, but we will see. If they won't pay for him to go, he says he will just buy his own ticket to go. He doesn't want me to be there by myself in case they possibly see something wrong. Plus, we both want to be present when we find out the sexes.

So, that is our update. I luckily don't have another appointment with my doctor until January 12th...I had four in the last 5 weeks. We will keep you posted on how things are going.

No comments: