Wednesday, July 22, 2009

A JOB AND A CALLING

I am posting this on behalf of Rikk because I am so proud of him. Rikk was incharge of this rescue and worked very hard on this soldier to try and save him. He had heard months ago that he did not make it, but just recently found out that he did. There is a picture below of the soldier that is being talked about, and he was severly injured. The picture is of him now.

This is a fine example of the difference AF fire can make, this is what we train for. Three Eielson firefighters responded to this call in March 08, a truck was hit with a 122MM rocket coming in at 700 MPH. 4 were killed and then PFC XXXXXwas assumed DOA until he began talking to first responders, see below.

Chief ,
Just got a response from Lt Col XXXXXX and he gave me your address. I wanted to track you down and send you some pics of SGT XXXXX. He and his familyare extremely thankful for everyone who helped bring Joel home. He truly is an amazing young man.

I know as a first responder, we are suppose to forget the last accident and move on, but I think about that day, every day and every time I go to sleep.I remember when we looked inside that vehicle and found the third body...still hits me hard.

When I got home, I got into contact with the hospital Joel was at. The Army LNO gave my info to Joel's dad and he contacted me. Joel at the time was very bad and wasn't expected to make it. Then after 81 days in a coma he came out of it. He was blind in both eyes, right leg amputated and 60% of his body burned. But things changed...

Now Joel is doing great, he is walking, jumping and he remembers everything...When I first met with him, he remembered me, and the other responders on scene with him, which was amazing.

In June, I was asked by the Army Leadership to take part in the Purple Heart and Bronze Star Ceremony for him. After 15 months, over 20 surgeries he is doing great. His sense of humor is great and he says he remembered talking with me that day. Joel wanted me to thank all the Air Force Police, Fire and Medics that responded that day.

Hope all is well with you and hope to hear back from you.
Thanks,
Capt XXXXXXX

SGT XXXX


That email made it's way around the AF and this is an email that Rikk got from a Chief that he worked with over there..

Rikk,
Goes beyond words to describe your effect and your attention to detail when all about you was chaos and death. Means more to me than you know to have you as a fellow firefighter and would go to war with you anytime and anywhere. Keep the faith!

Chief XXXX

Being a firefighter and soldier in the military may be Rikk's job, his way to make a living and to financially take care of us...



...but Rikk's true calling in life is being a wonderful husband to me and an incredible father to our five amazing little boys.



When Rikk deploys it is VERY hard on our family, especially our boys. But hearing a story about him and how he helped to save a man...well, it makes me realize it's not just about us when he's gone and makes it all worth it. Rikk is great at his job, but he's even better at his calling.

5 comments:

Katie said...

Wow, thats really amazing. A peak into a soldiers life.....thank you Rikk for serving our country so well.

momhirt said...

rikk sounds like an amazing man, who has his priorities straight and his life in order. thanks for serving our country, rikk!

Jonathan and Mandi Crandell said...

What a sweet post! It's easy to see how much those boys love their Daddy. Dawn, I'd love it if you shared my website with others. Thanks for thinking its good enough to share! P.S. I think you should request another assignment in Mt. Home!!!

The Mattesons said...

Mandi, we are trying to get Mt. Home again. If we have to be near a Shriner's we are trying to talk the AF to send us to Mt. Home with a Shriner's in SLC, but we will see. As of now we are going to Elmo. And yes, I think your bows are amazing and really wish I had a little girl to use them on...guess I will just have to share them with my friends.

Cindy said...

Come on Dawn, don't make me cry so early in the day!