Wednesday, September 17, 2008

Memo to Mommy

(I got this out of some parenting magazine that I was thumbing through while at the dentist and thought it was really cute and true.)


You have a lot of lessons to teach your little one, but they have a few words of wisdom for you too.

Stop freaking out about the mess! There's always time to clean - but how often do we get to make mud pies?

Love me, even when I'm naughty. I'll only be this age once.

Be patient. I do everything for a reason, but I don't know enough words yet to give you an explanation.

Let me do it. I know you can do it faster and better, but sometimes experience is the best teacher.

Don't expect too much of me. I want to do what you ask and make you happy, but I'm still little.

Don't try to reason with me when I'm having a tantrum. Trust me - I can't hear you over my own screaming. (made me laugh)

Keep your promises. It's all about trust. When I'm a teenager, you'll understand why it's so important.

Don't keep asking me if I've been good. I'm not even sure what that means, but if I was bad I'd never admit it! (made me laugh again)

Don't let me think that you're perfect. I feel a lot better knowing I'm not the only one who makes mistakes sometimes.

Set limits. I can't actually eat a whole box of cookies - I just want to see if I'd get away with it. (apparently whoever wrote this never met Kyler!)

3 comments:

Dahlia said...

I need to post this on my fridge - especially about not freaking out about the mess! :) Glad your mom could watch the kids (I really miss that!) and that your tooth is finally all better.
Oh, and Jeremy was over my shoulder when I viewed your blog and he just smiled and sighed "ooohhh...the Mattesons!" he misses you guys - we all miss you guys! I think I've used the word "miss" a bit much...but it's TRUE! :)

Jonathan and Mandi Crandell said...

Hey guys! Jonathan just found out that he's going to be headed to Ali AFB, Iraq...Isn't that where Rikk was? What can you tell us about that base? Hope you guys are doing well!!

The Mattesons said...

Yes Mandi, that is where Rikk was. If you don't mind, give us Jonathan's email address and Rikk can email him and tell him what it was like. I don't want you to panick and get all worried, but there are just somethings that you aren't going to want to know/hear about until he gets home. Atleast that's how I felt. All Rikk ever told me was he missed me and the boys, he was bored and couldn't wait to come home...and I didn't ask him anything other than if he was okay. It was just easier for me to not know the details. My imagination was enough for me to deal with! Rikk's email address is: firemanrikker@hotmail.com

We will keep Jonathan in our prayers, along with you, the boys and Jordyn. If you ever need anything, to talk, vent, whatever it is, just let me know.