Friday, December 5, 2008

Twins Update and Good News!!!

This last week has been a little bit stressful. On Tuesday we went into the doctor and I got to have another ultrasound. I get to have one at EVERY appointment! That's really nice because in EVERY room they have a sign posted that reads, "Ultrasounds are not for gender identification, but for serious medical purposes." Now at every visit I can just say, "If you happen to notice any gender parts, please feel free to point them out and let us know." But back to my appointment. The doctor did an ultrasound and said that she didn't see two separate sacks for the babies, that they appeared to be in the same sack. NOT GOOD. She also said that she isn't a ultrasound tech, but she just didn't see two, and we should know for sure Thursday when we go to FMH for an ultrasound. She then went on to explain what would more than likely happen during my pregnancy...like more than likely having to be hospitalized from 24 weeks on down in Anchorage (FMH doesn't accept TRICARE) and that the risk for them to be delivered even earlier was there. The reason being is because the mortality rate for twins like this is only 50% because of the risk of entanglement. The only news that Rikk found good at this appointment was that he will be allowed to give me my weekly shot of progesterone(sp?) from probably 14 weeks on and it HAS to be in the bum! He is going to be getting too much pleasure out of this I think! I can just see it..."Okay, are you ready? Alright here I go....just kidding!" and him laughing while I wait for it!

So we went and had our ultrasound at FMH yesterday and the tech took all kinds of pictures before the doctor came in. The doc looked at the pics and they did some more and he said that he only saw one sack. I got a little sick to my stomach. The doc said if they are in the same sack then they will be identical twins. Then the tech and the doc both went "oh" and pointed at the screen. The doc then said that he would put money on baby A being a boy. They turned the screen and he pointed out two little legs and a little peterbug. Okay, that means two boys! Rikk was excited. The doctor told him that girls aren't bad, that he had two of his own. Rikk asked their ages and the doctor said they were 10 and 7. Rikk said, "Let me know how it goes in five years!" Needless to say, the doctor didn't smile! But there is more!

The doc left and the tech took some more pics and then said, "I think there are two sacks. Let me go and get the doctor really quick." She got the doctor and they came back in and the doctor now says, "Forget everything I told you, except about baby A being a boy. They are in their own sacks, which means that there could be a boy and a girl." They couldn't see any boy parts on baby B or girl parts, so that means there is still a chance that one could be a girl...can you tell I would LOVE a girl! I was 11 weeks yesterday and the babies are measuring at 12 weeks. I am starting to feel a little better (thank you meds!) which is nice. I am still really tired ALL the time, but to be expected. And my tummy is still growing. I will have to take a pic and post it along with the ultrasound pics I got yesterday (I left them at mom and dad's).

Our other good news is...WE GOT OUR EXTENSION!!! We are so happy about this! Our orders will actually say that we can stay through September, which we won't because Hunter will be starting school before then. We also lost our orders to New Mexico. Rikk will submit his dream sheet again and in April we will get a preliminary list of all the bases we could get sent. If one off our dream sheet is on there, we can pretty much bank on going there. If we don't like any of the possibilities, then we were told we could get New Mexico back. So we will have to just wait and see.

Oh and Kyler slept in underwear for the first time last night and only had one little accident. He also got up three times to go potty! We are so proud of him. This morning I said, "Did you get up last night and go to the potty?" And he said, "Yeah, high five mom!" He was so proud of himself too and wanted to call Rikk. What a cute kid!

But that is our good news for the week. And we couldn't have asked for better news. My stress level has gone down quite a bit since yesterday and that of course is great.

7 comments:

Jerry and Maaret said...

hooray! separate sacks is awesome! I'm surprised that they could tell one is a boy so soon... that's really rare. You still have a chance at a girl, too... which is great! good luck with that!

The Mattesons said...

I was surprised at hearing he thought it was a boy too. But it did look like a boy part...I am secretly hoping it's just the cord!

Katie said...

AT least one girl for you is what I would ask for.

Kyler is potty trained? How old is he? I guess he has such a baby face he looks like he's so little still. Thats great. Such a milestone and especially if you are going to have 2 more babies in diapers!

Glad everything is going well.....

The Mattesons said...

Kyler will be three in March. He day potty trained in September and has just been lazy at night because he has been wearing a diaper. The other two boys were completely potty trained at 2 1/2 which was NICE! We have heard boys are so hard to potty train and I guess have just been really lucky so far.

Kacey Bode said...

I haven't been on here in so long, sorry!!! Congrats on the twins, and thank God they are in seperate sacks!!! You really need a girl, you are seriously out numbered in that house!!!

I read a couple of posts down about the names, when we were pregnant with Ella (before we found out she was a girl obviously) we were trying to think of a good name to go with our Hunter, and liked Carter. I think Wynter for a girl is SO cute!!!

Maybe you guys will get orders here : )

Jonathan and Mandi Crandell said...

I'm glad they found two sacks. Good luck.

Kluane said...

Congratulations on Twins! How exciting for you. That is good news about the babies being in seperate sacks, I hope you get your girl and that things continue to go well.